01 August 2018

The Two Shall Become One (2 of 3)



          10 years after the event and I find myself telling "our story" as often as ever. Someone says, "So how did you and your wife meet?" I just smile and ask, "Do you want the long or short version?" I love telling either and if you have the time, I'll show you the pictures. These past ten years have been a wonderful adventure of life together with Maridith. We have had failures, victories, pain, and joy.    
     Our marriage is not easy because marriage is not easy. If you know us, you know we are fire and ice. It doesn't take much to put us into a free-fall as we try to hold on to each other but are pulled in different directions by this marriage's great antagonists... us.
          We are the ones that push each other away. We are who we have to fight to make this thing work. The pride and selfishness that festers within us can be defeated.  And this is what we do. This is what I have learned.

Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.-Genesis 2:24

     The idea that we are now "one flesh" provides spouses a great advantage, if we can truly see each other as one flesh. But, more often then not it is me and my flesh against my wife and her flesh...this we call an argument. 
          Our marriage is at its best when we are on the same side in the battle against our flesh and the troubles of this world. I can be a real meanie some days when my emotions put me at odds with Maridith. Yet, the victories are found when I realize that we are one flesh and I step over to Maridith's side and we work through the problem together. This is never harder than when the problem is me, but still I have to hold tight to Maridith and realize that we are on the same team. She is the help that God has given me and together we can work though any difficulty together. 
          So, I'll keep telling our story, which is getting longer and more beautiful with each passing year. 


1 comment:

  1. My wife Lois and I celebrated our 50th anniversary this year and over the years we have had 'disagreements' , but have never had what I would call a real fight. We both have strong Christian beliefs that God has put us together as one flesh so that he could be glorified.
    I am encouraged about our youth by the commitment to God and each other that your and Maridith have. I will continue to pray for you and your family. Love from Lois and Paul McGriff

    ReplyDelete